P5 Future Image

Philips TV new outstanding P5 picture processing engine

Philips TV P5 Processing Engine offers 50% performance improvement over High-End Perfect Pixel Ultra HD system to set new reference PQ standard

Berlin, August 31st 2017:  The flagship sets of the new Philips TV range will enjoy a significant improvement in picture quality thanks to the introduction of the outstanding new P5 processing engine.

P5 brings both a 25% increase in processing features and a 25% increase in processing power to give an overall 50% performance gain when compared with the existing Perfect Pixel Ultra HD engine.

With the power of five processors in one. P5 enjoys the sheer processing scale necessary to easily handle the masses of data delivered by Ultra HD and 4K images. P5 analyses, deconstructs and individually addresses each of the five variables that define picture quality: Source perfection, Sharpness, Color, Contrast and Motion.

The reduction from multiple chips to one also brings the faster transfer of processed data with better timing and improved control over the whole processing sequence.

Much work has gone into ensuring that the processing suite receives a perfect, corrected source input, an essential development with the arrival of HDR content and high-light-output displays.

With a high proportion of the content that feeds our televisions containing annoying visual imperfections such as noise and artefacts, the P5 Source Perfection corrects and reduces noise without introducing annoying blurring while the Smart Bit Enhancement system eliminates banding by extending 8 bit video to near 14 bit precision resulting in smoother gradations, but without detail loss in other parts of the picture.

An improved MPEG meter also offers a more accurate measure of signal quality.

In the area of sharpness improvement, the P5 engine features a new Detail Meter and a new Detail Enhancer plus an improved Sharpness Meter.  The Detail Enhancer up-scales any content into a sharper Ultra HD picture, resulting in a visibly more refined image with finer lines, and greater, deeper detail which combines to create better depth impression

With regards to color processing the P5 engine includes an improved Gamut Mapping System.

The P5 engine also offers a significant improvement in contrast performance thanks to the inclusion of Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) processing, a new local contrast enhancement system and a new ‘sparkle & darkle’ contrast enhancement feature detection plus improved HDR up-scaling.

Motion sharpness also sets new standards in LED and OLED panels thanks to the incredible 4 billion pixels processing power of Philips’ Perfect Natural motion technology that ensures even the fastest moving Ultra HD images are reproduced as fluid motion while maintain exceptional sharpness.

The combination of additional processing and improved power allows the new P5 engine to surpass the performance of the legendary, multi-award winning Perfect Pixel Ultra HD engine that is still widely considered to be one of the best processing suites on the market


About TP Vision:

TP Vision is the exclusive brand licensee of Philips TV and a dedicated TV player in the world of visual digital entertainment. TP Vision concentrates on developing, manufacturing and marketing Philips branded TV sets in Europe, Russia, Middle East, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and selected countries in Asia-Pacific. We do this by combining our design expertise and innovative Philips TV heritage with the operational excellence, flexibility and speed of TPV Technology. With these combined strengths, we bring high-quality TV sets to the market: smart and easy to use with sophisticated styling. We believe in creating products that offer a superior TV experience for consumers. With Philips TVs, TP Vision is a global leader in the hospitality market. TP Vision is the exclusive brand licensee of Philips TVs for the above listed countries. The TV Company is 100% owned by TPV, the world’s leading monitor and LCD TV manufacturer, selling and marketing Philips branded TVs in China. The TPV Group has been able to drive its growth over the years by leveraging its economies of scale and core competencies in R&D, manufacturing, logistic efficiency and quality. TP Vision employs close to 2,000 people in several locations around the globe.

 

Follow us also on Twitter: @TPVision

 

Media contact:

Andrew Burslem

Tel: +44 203 794 2222

E-mail: global.pr@tpvision.com

 

The content in the news releases is accurate at the time of publication but may be subject to change without notice. All trademarks mentioned in this news release are the property of their respective owners.

For additional materials, photos, videos, footage please see links below:

High res images: www.tpvision.com/image-library/

More information on P5:

www.philips.com/p5

Videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOa_vj8GRvE&feature=youtu.be

Search