New Philips P5 Processing Engine offers 50% performance improvement over High-End Perfect Pixel Ultra HD system to set new reference PQ standard

Madrid, March 13. 2017 – Flagship sets in the new Philips TV range will enjoy a significant improvement in picture quality in the first half of 2017 thanks to the introduction of the outstanding new P5 processing engine.

P5 promises to bring both a 25% increase in processing features and a 25% increase in processing power to give an overall 50% performance gain when compared with the existing Perfect Pixel Ultra HD engine.

Further system integration will see a chipset reduction from the current three chips found in the Perfect Pixel Ultra HD system to just one in the P5. The reduction in chips bringing the faster transfer of data with better timing and improved control over the whole processing sequence.

P5 will also offer both new features and improvements to existing processes in four of the five areas controlled by the processing engine including: Source quality, Sharpness, Colour and Contrast  – while in the fifth area, the existing Motion Estimation function, Perfect Motion processing and scanning backlight are considered to already offer market leading motion performance.

Much work has gone into ensuring that the processing suite receives a perfect, corrected source input, an essential development with the arrival of HDR content and high-light-output displays.

The P5 engine includes a new advanced DNR system and a new Mosquito NR function to offer significantly increased noise reduction but without creating image detail blurring or smearing.

A new Smart Bit Enhancement system takes 8-bit video to near 14-bit precision in areas where banding occurs, resulting in smoother gradations but without detail loss in other parts of the picture. While an improved MPEG meter also offers a more accurate measure of signal quality.

In the area of sharpness improvement, the P5 engine features a new Detail Meter and a new Detail Enhancer plus an improved Sharpness Meter.  The Detail Enhancer up-scales any content into a sharper Ultra HD picture, resulting in a visibly more refined image with finer lines, and greater, deeper detail which

combines to create better depth impression

With regards to colour processing the P5 engine includes an improved Gamut Mapping System.

The P5 engine also offers a significant improvement in contrast performance thanks to the inclusion of Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) processing, a new local contrast enhancement system and a new sparkle & darkel detection and reduction feature plus improved HDR up-scaling.

The combination of additional processing and improved power allows the new P5 engine to surpass the performance of the legendary, multi-award winning Perfect Pixel Ultra HD engine that is still widely considered to be one of the best processing suites on the market

P5 offers a significant improvement in PQ performance and, when used in combination with the latest OLED technology in the new 9002 set, can truly claim to offer new reference quality images.

About TP Vision

TP Vision is a dedicated TV player in the world of visual digital entertainment. TP Vision concentrates on developing, manufacturing and marketing Philips branded TV sets in Europe, Russia, Middle East, Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay and selected countries in Asia-Pacific. We do this by combining our design expertise and innovative Philips TV heritage with the operational excellence, flexibility and speed of TPV Technology. With these combined strengths, we bring high-quality TV sets to the market: smart and easy to use with sophisticated styling. We believe in creating products that offer a superior TV experience for consumers. With Philips TVs, TP Vision is a global leader in the hospitality market. TP Vision is the exclusive brand licensee of Philips TVs for the above listed countries. TP Vision employs close to 2,000 people in several locations around the globe and is 100% owned by TPV, one of the world’s leading monitor and LCD TV manufacturers, selling and marketing Philips branded TVs in China. TPV has been able to drive its growth over the years by leveraging its economies of scale and core competencies in R&D, manufacturing, logistic efficiency and quality.

Follow us also on Twitter:


Media contact:

Andrew Burslem
Tel: +44 (0)20 3794 2222

The content in the news releases is accurate at the time of publication but may be subject to change without notice. All trademarks mentioned in this news release are the property of their respective owners.

For additional materials, photos, videos, footage please see links below:

High res images: